Author : Noor Basha 1
Date of Publication :21st June 2018
Abstract: Textual passwords are the most generally used user authentication techniques now a days. Since there is a possibility to forget a password while maintaining a numerous accounts by a single user, password hint mechanism came into existence which usually reveals most of the information about the password. This mechanism encourages the hackers to hack the account easily. In this paper we are proposing a new mechanism called as SYNTHIMA approach which uses the contact list of the user to make user to recall the textual password. The password along with salt value will be hash coded and the remainder is stored in the database hence making the hacker difficult to hack from backend
- Noura Alomar, Mansour Alsaleh, Abdulrahman Alarifi “Someone in Your Contact List: Cued Recall-Based Textual Passwords” IEEE Transactions May 2017.
- M. L. Mazurek, S. Komanduri, T. Vidas, L. Bauer, N. Christin, L. F. Cranor, P. G. Kelley, R. Shay, and B. Ur,“ Measuring password guess ability for an entire university ”in Proceedings of the 2013 ACM SIGSAC conference on Computer and Communications Security,pp.173– 186,ACM,2013
- D. Florencio and C. Herley, “A large-scale study of web password habits,” in Proceedings of the 16th international conference on World Wide Web, pp. 657– 666,ACM,2007.
- A. Forget, S. Chiasson, and R. Biddle, “Helping users create better passwords: is this the right approach?” in Proceedings of the 3rd Symposium on Usable Privacy, pp.151–152,ACM,2007.
- J. Bonneau, C. Herley, P. C. Van Oorschot, and F.Stajano, “The quest to replace passwords: A framework for comparative evaluation of web authentication schemes,” in Proceedings of the 2012 IEEE Symposium on Security and Privacy, pp. 553–567, IEEE.
- R. Shay, S. Komanduri, P. G. Kelley, P. G. Leon, M. L. Mazurek, L. Bauer, N. Christin, and L. F. Cranor, “Encountering stronger password requirements: user attitudes and behaviors,” in Proceedings of the 6th Symposium on Usable Privacy and Security, p. 2, ACM, 2010.
- M. Alsaleh, M. Mannan, and P. C. van Oorschot, “Revisiting defenses against large-scale online password guessing attacks,” IEEE Transactions on dependable and secure computing, vol. 9, no. 1, 2012.
- A. Alarifi, M. Alsaleh, and N. Alomar, “A model for evaluating the security and usability of e-banking platforms,” Computing, IEEE pp. 1–17, 2017.
- H. C. Ellis and R. R. Hunt, Fundamentals of human memory and cognition. William C. Brown, 1989.