Author : Thingbaijam Lenin 1
Date of Publication :23rd August 2018
Abstract: Educational Decision Support System has become one of the fundamental needs for any learning centers. Data mining techniques have found to be capable of providing the Decision Support System (DSS) in education domain. Conventional Data mining algorithms needs to be adapted and modified for applying the educational data. The accuracy of any data mining algorithm is also considered to be affected by the attributes selected. This study focuses on different algorithms and attributes used in developing DSS. It is found that most of the studies aimed on improving the performance academic accomplishment of the students and less research has been conducted in providing a decision support system for organizing and maintaining educational infrastructure, areas of interest of students and courses demanded. It is also found that demographic features and students’ past academic details are mainly used as attributes in this area of study. Student’s psychology, its intelligence and the way student learn have not been found to be used as attributes while considering the DSS in education domain
- V. P. Bresfelean, N. Ghisoiu, R. Lacurezeanu, and D. A. Sitar-Taut, “Towards the development of decision support in academic environments,” Proc. Int. Conf. Inf. Technol. Interfaces, ITI, pp. 343–348, 2009.
- “International Educational Data Mining Society,” 2011. [Online]. Available: http://educationaldatamining.org/. [Accessed: 10-Jun2018].
- T. Mishra, D. Kumar, and S. Gupta, “Mining students‟ data for prediction performance,” Int. Conf. Adv. Comput. Commun. Technol. ACCT, no. February 2014, pp. 255–262, 2014.
- S. K. Verma, R.S.Thakur, and S. Jaloree, “Pattern Mining Approach to Categorization of Students ‟ Performance using Apriori Algorithm,” Int. J. Comput. Appl., vol. 121, no. 5, pp. 0975 – 8887, 2015.
- T. M. Lakshmikanth and B. K. Sangareddy, “International Journal of Combined Research & Development ( IJCRD ) eISSN : 2321-225X ; pISSN : 2321-2241 Volume : 2 ; Issue : 5 ; May -2014 Application of a Naïve Bayesian Classification Algorithm for Students ‟ Performance Evaluation and Improvement in E,” pp. 86–90, 2014.