Author : Jukkrit Kluabwang 1
Date of Publication :27th December 2019
Abstract: World is facing population aging problem. Many countries have prepared themselves to handle this problem with the aim that their own citizen received well-being situation. To support a tool to care for elderly, this paper proposed a mobile application of nutrition assessment for elderly. The application has been developed in PHP language and it is online support. The proposed app can be freely available, namely day calorie, from the well-known android app space. Experiments have been done on three different models of mobile phone. The process begins with downloading the proposed mobile application from Google Play domain and then completely installing it into those mobile phones. Before getting started to open the installed app, users must make sure the internet connection are working well. Because the proposed app is working as a user interfacing unit accepting input arguments from user and then sending these data through mobile phone media to processing on a certain server and then return an output back to displaying on the mobile phone. Experimental results on performance test are reported that the average executed time from 20 trials for male elderly case on mobile phones A, B and C are 1.744, 1.686 and 1.639 milliseconds, respectively. For female elderly case on those three models are 2.291, 2.321 and 1.946 milliseconds, respectively. All trials were successful tasks, energy error not exceed 30kcal, each gram error of carbohydrate, protein and oil are no more than 3 grams.
- World Health Organization, “Ageing and Health”, Online available:http://www.who.int/news-room/factsheets/detail/ageing-and-health (11 September 2019)
- National Institute on Aging, National Institutes of Health. United States: NIH Publication; 2011, “Global Health and Ageing”, [Google Scholar]
- Foundation for Older Persons' Development, “Situation of the Thai Elderly (Population situations)”, Online available: https://fopdev.or.th/situation-of-the-thai-elderly-populationsituations (11 September 2019)
- Abdelwahed, A.Y., Algameel, M.M.M. and Tayel, D.I., “Effect of a Nutritional Education Program on Nutritional Status of Elderly in Rural Areas of Damanhur City, Egypt”, International Journal of Nursing Science, vol.8, no.5, pp.83-92, 2018
- National Survey of Area Agencies on Aging, “Serving America’s Older Adults 2017 Report”, Online available:
- Kljusurić, J.G., Rumora, I. and Kurtanjek, Ž. “Application of Fuzzy Logic in Diet Therapy – Advantages of Application,” Online available: https://www.intechopen.com/download/pdf/ 32879 (11 September 2019)
- WHO/FAO. Diet, Nutrition and Prevention of Chronic Diseases. Report of a Joint FAO/WHO Expert Consultation. Geneva, Switzerland: WHO Technical Report Service. 2003;916:1-150.
- Soon-Myung Hong, Jee-Ye Cho, Jin-Hee Lee, Gon Kim, Min-Chan Kim., “NutriSonic web expert system for meal management and nutrition counseling with nutrient timeseries analysis, e-food exchange and easy data transition”, Nutrition Research and Practice, vol.2, no.2, pp. 121-129, 2008.
- Expert Panel on the Identification, Evaluation, and Treatment of Overweight and Obesity in Adults., “Executive Summary of the Clinical Guidelines on the Identification, Evaluation, and Treatment of Overweight and Obesity in Adults,” Archives of internal Medicine, vol.158, no.17, pp.1855–1867, 1998.
- Benezra, L.M., Nieman, D.C., Nieman, C.M., et al., “Intakes of most nutrients remain at acceptable levels during a weight management program using the food exchange system.” Journal of the American Dietetic Association, vol.10, no. 5, pp.554- 561, 2001.
- Weech, M., Vafeiadou, K., Hasaj, M., “Development of a food-exchange model to replace saturated fat with MUFAs and n-6 PUFAs in adults at moderate cardiovascular risk,” The Journal of Nutrition, vol.144, pp.846–855, 2014.
- Shaw, D.I., Tierney, A.C., McCarthy, S. 2009. “LIPGENE food-exchange model for alteration of dietary fat quantity and quality in free-living participants from eight European countries,” British Journal of Nutrition. vol.101, pp.750– 759, 2009.
- Russolillo-Femenías, Giuseppe, “A practical approach to the management of micronutrients and other nutrients of concern in food exchange lists for meal planning,” Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. Vol.118, no.11, pp.2029 – 2041, 2018.
- Dholvitayakhun, A., Kaewwongkhieo, J and Kluabwang, J., “Application of food exchange lists program for elderly dietay planning,” The IAENG International Multi Conference of Engineering and Computer Science, March 13-15, 2019, Hong Kong.
- Dholvitayakhun, A. and Kluabwang, J., “Application of local search for optimal assignment of food exchange lists problem,” International Journal of Computer Theory and Engineering, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 189-191, 2014.
- Dholvitayakhun, A. and Kluabwang, J., “Design of food exchange lists for obesity using modified local search,” The 13th IEEE International Conference on Electrical Engineering/Electronics, Computer, Telecommunications and Information Technology (ECTI-CON), June 28 – July 1, 2016, Chiang Mai, Thailand.
- Dholvitayakhun, A. and Kluabwang, J., “Design of food exchange list for diabetes mellitus by using modified local search techniques,” Rajamangala University of Technology Krungthep Research Journal, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 1-7, 2017. (in Thai)
- M. Bernstein and A. S. Luggen,. “Nutrition for The Older Adult,” Jones and Barlett Publisher LLC, USA, 2010.