Author : Srinath Vallakirthy 1
Date of Publication :5th August 2020
Abstract: In a short span, coronavirus has spread to more than 170 countries across the globe. Most of the hospitals and medical supporting equipment get overwhelmed due tothe rapid increase in the number of coronavirus patients. In this work, we analyze the recovery rate of coronavirus patients using machine-learning techniques based on COVID-19 data. An exploratory data analysis of the increase in the number of recovery cases in the different geographical region across the globe is conducted. We observe the effect of initial lockdown across the globe in slowing down the spread of coronavirus. However, later there is a sudden spread of coronavirus in all countries, leading to an increased load on medical staff and lack of adequate medical supporting equipment in the absence of any antiviral or vaccine of coronavirus till date. We notice that there is a decrease in the recovery rate of coronavirus patients to 2% (approximately) after a widespread of the virus in June 2020. However, in July 2020, there is a hike in recovery rate of coronavirus patients, about 30% - 40% in comparison to the infected cases. The key findings of this study can help in understanding the trend in coronavirus spread across the globe and its recovery rate. It can help by providing a piece of valuable information to healthcare authorities and workers to design appropriate strategies for reducing the death toll and understanding the recovery rate in different regions of the world.
- Li, Q., Guan, X., Wu, P., Wang, X., Zhou, L., Tong, Y., Ren, R., Leung, K.S., Lau, E.H., Wong, J.Y., and Xing, X. (2020). Early transmission dynamics in Wuhan, China, of novel coronavirus-infected pneumonia. N. Engl. J. Med. 382, 1199–1207.
- Mahase, E. (2020). Coronavirus: Covid-19 has killed more people than SARS and MERS combined, despite lower case fatality rate. BMJ368, m641.
- World Health Organization (2020). Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19): Situation Report, 61. https://apps.who.int/iris/handle/10665/331605?sh ow=full.
- Coronavirus Update (Live), https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/ Last accessed on Aug 05, 2020
- Wu, Z., and McGoogan, J.M. (2020). Characteristics of and important lessons from the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) outbreak in China: summary of a report of 72 314 cases from the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention. JAMA 323, 1239–1242.
- Livingston, E., and Bucher, K. (2020). Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID19) in Italy. JAMA 323, 1335.
- Capricornus EinBlick, COVID-19 Time Series Analysis, https://medium.com/@thecapricornuseinblick/co vid-19-time-series-analysis-e6f3f2235e43 last accessed Aug. 05, 2020.
- COVID-19 Data Repository by the Center for Systems Science and Engineering (CSSE) at Johns Hopkins University, https://github.com/CSSEGISandData/COVID-19 last accessed on Aug 05, 2020.
- Arora, P., Kumar, H., &Panigrahi, B. K. (2020). Prediction and analysis of COVID-19 positive cases using deep learning models: A descriptive case study of India. Chaos, Solitons & Fractals, 110017.
- Mohfw|home.2020.https://www.mohfw.gov.in/( Last accessed on Aug, 05, 020).
- Organization W.H. et al. Q& A on coronaviruses. 2020b.
- Grenfell R., Drew T..Here’s why it’s taking so long to develop a vaccine for the new coronavirus. Science Alert Archived from the original on 28 2020.
- Wang L , Li J , Guo S , Xie N , Yao L , Cao Y , et al. Real-time estimation and prediction of mortality caused by COVID-19 with patient information based algorithm. Sci Total Environ 2020:138394 .
- Gupta S ,Raghuwanshi GS , Chanda A . Effect of weather on COVID-19 spread in the US: aprediction model for India in 2020. Sci Total Environ 2020:138860.
- AhmarAS , del Val EB . SutteARIMA: shortterm forecasting method, a case: COVID-19 and stock market in spain. Sci Total Environ 2020:138883.
- CeylanZ . Estimation of COVID-19 prevalence in Italy, Spain, and France. Sci Total Environ