Author : Sumit KR Sharma 1
Date of Publication :6th April 2021
Abstract: Information Technology (IT) has already taken the world by storm changing the very base of conventional organizational methodologies. Artificial Intelligence (AI) is one of the classic inventions of IT believed to the next big game-changer of the world. Its various applications are already known to the world. Soon, it will show its impact on our private and public life. Society or corporate world, its benefits will be prevalent in every walk of our life. The defense and security will also be getting the benefits of AI in diverse ways. But, how will AI impact defense and security or how the traditional ways or procedures in defense and security will be replaced with AI is a much-debated question today. The current thinking of AI’s impact on defense and security is mostly incremental. That is to say, researchers and scholars want to visualize the application of AI in current defense perspectives where the armed forces will look in the same way as today’s arm forces with the same kinds of activities. In this report, AI- embedded, defense, and security-related R&D efforts are discussed along with the future possibility of AI in defense. The article makes it clear that AI has wide many applications that can re-engineer several aspects of today’s arm forces and security activities. Here, a discussion has been made on how AI will have genuine impacts on diverse military applications for enhanced efficiency in battlefields and strategic deployment of the military in different other activities.
- https://hcss.nl/sites/default/files/files/reports/Artific ial%20Intelligence%20and%20the%20Fu ture%20of%20Defense.pdf
- https://www.orfonline.org/expert-speak/artificialintelligence-military-operations-where- does-indiastand-54030/
- Michael Copeland, What’s the Difference Between Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, and Deep Learning?, https://blogs.nvidia.com, posted July 29, 2016.  Christina Cardoza, What is the Current State of AI?, http://sdtimes.com/, downloaded 02 Jun 2017.
- Paula Irvin, What’s the Turing Test and Which AI Passes It?, https://www. knowmail.me, posted 11 Jan 2017.
- Ashton B Carter, Autonomy in Weapon Systems, US Depart of Defence Directive 3000.09, 21 Nov 2012.
- Mary Wareham, Presentation on Campaign to Stop Killer Robots, PIR Centre Conference on Emerging Technologies, Moscow, 29 Sep 2016.
- Benjamin Jensen and Ryan Kendall, Waze for War: How the Army can Integrate Artificial Intelligence, http://warontherocks.com, posted 02 Sep 2106.
- Sydney J Freedberg Jr, Centaur Army: Bob Work, Robotics, & The Third Offset Strategy, http://breakingdefense.com, posted 09 Nov 2015.
- Johnson, James. "Artificial intelligence & future warfare: implications for international security." Defense & Security Analysis 35.2 (2019): 147-169.
- Mori, Satoru. "US defense innovation and artificial intelligence." Asia-Pacific Review 25.2 (2018): 16-44.
- Jensen, Benjamin M., Christopher Whyte, and Scott Cuomo. "Algorithms at war: the promise, peril, and limits of artificial intelligence." International Studies Review 22.3 (2020): 526-550.
- https://www.researchgate.net/publication/34569252 4_ARTIFICIAL_INTELLIGENCE_TEC HNOLOGY_AND_LAW_CHALLENGES_OF_O UR_TIME?_iepl%5BgeneralViewId%5D
- http://=KP1tmR2ylYVKnGePll89vkRCdGaZv2POcUxl &_iepl%5Bcontexts%5D%5B0%5D=searc hReact&_iepl%5BviewId%5D=BF1SKCjUz106rN kDD1C5SR6Yo8pVuycqMcaD&_iepl%5 BsearchType%5D=publication&_iepl%5Bdata%5 D%5BcountLessEqual20%5D=1&_iepl%5
- http://Bdata%5D%5BinteractedWithPosition16%5D=1& _iepl%5Bdata%5D%5BwithEnrichment% 5D=1&_iepl%5Bposition%5D=16&_iepl%5BrgKe y%5D=PB%3A345692524&_iepl%5Btar getEntityId%5D=PB%3A345692524&_iepl%5Bint eractionType%5D=publicationTitle