Author : Vikash Ningthoujam 1
Date of Publication :23rd August 2021
Abstract: The present paper is an attempt to understand the concept of rationality and how it is placed as the core element, executing both the idea of harmony and disharmony in the society. In a conceivable manner, rationality can be interpreted as a “belief formation and belief-regulating process”. Rationality is the guiding principle that builds system and regulates it. Accordingly, it can also be said that the system of belief or the rationality is something that is inevitably tied with the human existence. Further, it also conditioned by the socio-political situations of society and also from the way of participation of individuals in the society. In the history of philosophy, the analysis of the concept of society prior to the modernity pertains to the understanding and interpretation of the theological rationality. Theological rationality lays its emphasis on the social principle as insinuated from the teachings of the scripture that is the progression of society is believed to be unconditionally associated with the norms and obligations generated from the scripture. For example in the theological tradition, St. Augustine “stressed the priority of faith and the acceptance of the biblical revelation” in understanding the authentic nature of the self and its way of belongingness in the society. Again, in modernity, the concept of society as such is attempted to be interpreted and explicate from the perspective of science. Correspondingly, the rationality of modernity in turn, aims to redefine the fundamental characteristics of the social dimension with respect to the idea of innovation, scientific enhancement, technological advancement, etc. Having said this, the nature and the characteristics of society on a different level possibly transcends form the grasp of both the understanding and interpretation of theology and science. Accordingly, society can also be said to be disclosing certain important aspects that has its ground on the unmediated everdayness situation regarding individual’s decision, actions, opinions, etc and other events of communication. Here, the paper aims to analyze the concept of rationality with regard to the question such as— Is rationality an important element of society, if so what are the levels of social inducement that can be generally appreciated? Do the theological rationality and the scientific rationality as a historical importance in understanding the concept of society intervene in developing a harmonious human relation in the society? Are there possible alternatives of developing rationality in the society unhitched from the idea of foundationalism? Further, in the process of articulation, the paper aims to incorporate a historical, ethical and hermeneutical method.
- Blackburn, Simon, 2005, The Oxford Dictionary of Philosophy, Oxford University Press
- Flint, P.Thomas, Rea, C.Michael, 2009, The Oxford Handbook of Philosophical Theology, Oxford University Press
- Gadamer, Hans-Georg, 2013, Truth and Method, Bloomsbury Academic.
- Hasel, M.Frank, ―Theology and The Role of Reason‖, Journal of Adventist Theology Society, 4/2 (1993): 172-198, 1993
- Lavine, T.Z, 1984, From Socrates to Sartre, The Philosophical Quest, Bantam Books.
- Palmer, E. Richard, 1969, Hermeneutics, Interpretation Theory in Schleiermacher, Dilthey, Heidegger and Gadamer, Northwestern University Press.
- Pirozelli, Paulo, ―Thomas Kuhn‘s Theory of Rationality‖, Manuscrito – Rev. Int. Fil. Campinas, Vol.42, No.3, pp. 1- 46, Jul-Sep 2019.  Reshcher, Nicholas, 1988, Rationality a Philosophical Enquiry into the Nature and the Rationale of Reason, Oxford University Press.
- Russell, Betrand, 1996, History of Western Philosophy, The Betrand Russell Peace Foundation Ltd.
- Singh, R.P, ―Modern And Post-Modern Philosophical Quest A Methodical Analysis‖, Indian Philosphical Quarterly XXVIII, No.3, July 2001.
- Stenmark, Mikael, 1995, Rationality In Science, Religion and Everyday Life: A Critical Evaluation Of Four Modes of Rationality, University of Notre Dame Press.