Author : Monisha M 1
Date of Publication :1st December 2022
Abstract: Alzheimer's disease (AD) which is a disease that belongs to the group of neurodegenerative diseases and is considered one of the most destructive and severe diseases of the human nervous system. Presently there is no quick cost-effective method for routinely screening of persons with Alzheimer's disease. The problem is how to diagnose it at the earliest possible stage before specific symptoms begin to appear. The main idea is to build an intelligent system that will be able to answer, based on certain biomarkers from the subject, whether the disease is present or not. This paper presents how machine learning concepts are used that have upgraded the detection of Alzheimer’s disease in the early stage. In addition, the proposed does hierarchal classification into stages: CN, EMCI, LMCI and AD. Experimental results show that the proposed method achieves classification accuracy of 92-95 % for AD demonstrating the promising performance for RNN analysis.
- Quitterer, U., &AbdAlla, S. (2020). Improvements of symptoms of Alzheimers disease by inhibition of the angiotensin system. Pharmacological research, 154, 104230.
- Rabbito, A., Dulewicz, M., Kulczyńska-Przybik, A., &Mroczko, B. (2020). Biochemical markers in Alzheimer’s disease. International journal of molecular sciences, 21(6), 1989.
- Liu, L., Zhao, S., Chen, H., & Wang, A. (2020). A new machine learning method for identifying Alzheimer's disease. Simulation Modelling Practice and Theory, 99, 102023.
- O’Bryant, S. E., Xiao, G., Barber, R., Reisch, J., Doody, R., Fairchild, T., ...& Texas Alzheimer's Research Consortium. (2010). A serum protein–based algorithm for the detection of Alzheimer disease. Archives of neurology, 67(9), 1077-1081.
- Jiang, Y., Zhou, X., Ip, F. C., Chan, P., Chen, Y., Lai, N. C., ...&Ip, N. Y. (2021). Large‐scale plasma proteomic profiling identifies a high‐ performance biomarker panel for Alzheimer's disease screening and staging. Alzheimer's & Dementia.
- O’Bryant, S. E., Xiao, G., Barber, R., Reisch, J., Hall, J., Cullum, C. M., ...& Diaz-Arrastia, R. (2011). A blood-based algorithm for the detection of Alzheimer’s disease. Dementia and geriatric cognitive disorders, 32(1), 55-62.
- O'Bryant, S. E., Xiao, G., Barber, R., Huebinger, R., Wilhelmsen, K., Edwards, M., ...& Alzheimer's Disease Neuroimaging Initiative. (2011). A blood-based screening tool for Alzheimer's disease that spans serum and plasma: findings from TARC and ADNI. PloS one, 6(12), e28092.
- Lee, J. C., Kim, S. J., Hong, S., & Kim, Y. (2019). Diagnosis of Alzheimer’s disease utilizing amyloid and tau as fluid biomarkers. Experimental & molecular medicine, 51(5), 1-10.
- Zetterberg, H., & Burnham, S. C. (2019). Blood-based molecular biomarkers for Alzheimer’s disease. Molecular brain, 12(1), 1-7.
- Ashton, N. J., Nevado-Holgado, A. J., Barber, I. S., Lynham, S., Gupta, V., Chatterjee, P., ...&Hye, A. (2019). A plasma protein classifier for predicting amyloid burden for preclinical Alzheimer’s disease. Science advances, 5(2), eaau7220.
- Hye, A., Lynham, S., Thambisetty, M., Causevic, M., Campbell, J., Byers, H. L., ...&Lovestone, S. (2006). Proteome-based plasma biomarkers for Alzheimer's disease. Brain, 129(11), 3042-3050.